For nearly 70 years, Americans United for Separation of Church and State (Americans United) has been the only national organization solely dedicated to maintaining the wall of separation between religion and the government. The current Executive Director, who has served as its leader for the past 25 years, is stepping down from the leadership role. Americans United is an organization of great capability with an experienced and highly motivated staff, a dedicated and distinguished 15-member Board of Trustees, and a network of dedicated supporters.
Americans United seeks a strategic visionary leader as their next Executive Director. Americans United is looking for a leader with a vision for future growth and success, a collaborative style, who is articulate and has exceptional fundraising skills. This position presents an enormous opportunity for an experienced leader who is committed to the Constitutional right of separation of church and state.
As a non-partisan 501(C)(3) organization, Americans United advocates that:
- The principle of religious liberty is embodied in the Constitutional guarantee that all people have the right to choose their own religious path -- or none at all;
- The government must not promote religion over non-religion or favor one faith over another;
- The taxes we pay should not support religious teachings or religious institutions;
- Public schools must be open and welcoming to people of all faiths and none;
- Religious displays must be kept out of the government sphere; and
- Religious beliefs should not be an excuse to deny healthcare, refuse services, or disobey laws protecting Americans from discrimination and abuse.
Founded in 1947 by a broad coalition of religious, educational and civic leaders, Americans United maintains vigorous programs in litigation, public education, grassroots activism and legislative advocacy. Since its founding, Americans United’s guiding principle has been that all Americans have the Constitutional right to practice the religion of their choice (or refrain from taking part in religion) as individual conscience dictates. Americans United works with Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Humanists and those who profess other religious beliefs or hold no religious beliefs at all.
As Americans United embarks on its 70th Anniversary celebration, the Board of Trustees is looking for an Executive Director who will build on the organization’s work and continue its strong national leadership role in protecting laws that preserve and strengthen church-state separation and religious freedom in the new political environment. This is an opportunity to have a crucial role in keeping our country on its proper path.
The challenge and the opportunity facing a new Executive Director are building on and shaping the next chapter of Americans United’s story. The next Executive Director must bring a relentless sense of mission and a passionate intensity. The successful candidate will be a pragmatist who understands the current realities – be they political, social/cultural environment, or economic – and who believes Americans United can change things for the better with smart, strategic and visionary thinking, long-range planning, and nimble and flexible game plans. S/he must be skilled and comfortable in the role of educating a variety of audiences regarding the importance of church-state separation. Most of all, s/he will have a chance to make a difference in the lives of many and protect the enduring promise of our Constitution.
Working with the Board of Trustees and more than 30 staff members, the next Executive Director will be an influential leader with deep knowledge and understanding of religious freedom and the Constitutional principle of church–state separation. S/he will have the capacity to communicate a coherent and compelling vision as well as the experience and aptitude for building teams and engaging with partners who share common values and goals across many sectors. In addition, the successful candidate will demonstrate strategic acumen in charting a path toward success and the wisdom and flexibility to adapt to changes in the political landscape and opportunities as they arise.
The Executive Director will:
- Provide leadership in developing and implementing Americans United’s vision, mission and strategic priorities.
- Support the development of a vibrant future by continuing to cultivate, expand and make the best use of the Board, staff, volunteers and coalition partners.
- Continue to expand the financial support for Americans United, maintaining current and pursuing new philanthropic funding sources, as well as exploring other creative sources of revenue for the organization.
- Attract, retain and manage a team of professional, high-performing and dedicated staff who possess the capacity to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Expand the reach, influence and public recognition of Americans United as a leader in protecting religious freedom and ensuring the US Constitutional principle of separation of church and state.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate for this position will be an inspirational, diplomatic, resourceful, and flexible leader who has demonstrated a commitment to US Constitutional protections.
Candidates’ skills and experience should include:
- At least 10 years of senior management experience in either for-profit or non-profit organizations, or government.
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, the constitutional principle of church-state separation and personal dedication to religious liberty and church-state separation.
- Commitment to and experience in collaborative leadership with a diverse set of religious communities on church-state issues.
- Experience working with a Board of Trustees in shaping a vision for an organization.
- Demonstrated experience and capacity to raise funds from individual donors and foundations.
- Proven successful experience in budgeting and financial management.
- A track record of innovation; an entrepreneurial spirit and creativity to envision the future with demonstrated leadership; and administrative skills and experience managing growth and change.
- Exceptional communications skills including clear and persuasive writing and public speaking and experience working with traditional and digital media.
- Proven relationship builder with strong interpersonal skills, experience in coalition building, and working with multicultural partners.
- Strong management skills that support staff and foster collaboration, problem solving and decision-making experience.
- Political savvy and ability to maneuver through complex politics effectively.
- Masters or other advanced degree in a field of study applicative to the work of Americans United (such as public policy, governmental relations, theology, law, etc.)
- Intellectually curious with an open mind and a good sense of humor.
- Ability to travel.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Americans United offers Health, Dental, Vision, HSA Account, Dependent Care Flexible Savings Account, Life, Short Term Disability and Long-term disability insurance. Commuter or parking paid and 401(k) plan with match.
For consideration or to suggest a prospective candidate, please e-mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Americans United ED
Americans United is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based upon gender, race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other factor protected by law.